Department of Energy (DOE)
The Department of Energy funds cutting-edge research and the deployment of innovative clean energy technologies. The Department also encourages collaboration and cooperation between industry, academia and government.
There may be required registrations for submission of proposals. Contact SJSU Research Foundation to get set up.
Finding the right funding opportunity (FOA)
- Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy (EERE) FOAs
- Advanced Research Projects Agency–Energy (ARPA-E) FOAs
- Office of Fossil Energy and Carbon Management FOAs
- Office of Nuclear Energy
- Office of Science Funding Opportunities
Proposal requirements are very FOA dependent. Read the FOA carefully and work with your RD Specialist to develop your proposal.
- A Letter of Intent (LOI) may be required. It is a web form that should not contain any proprietary or sensitive business information. Specific requirements will be outlined in the FOA.
- Concept papers may be required. Specifics will be outlined in the FOA. After submitting a concept paper, applicants are notified via email whether they are “encouraged” or “discouraged” to submit a full application.
- Full proposal specifications are posted in the FOA. Applicants typically have at least 30 days from the time encouraged/discouraged notifications are posted to submit a full application. If a concept paper is not required, applicants typically have 60 days to submit a full application. Deadline date(s) are published on the FOA cover page.
- Note: Often, cost share is required. Cost share is cash or in-kind contributions from the prime recipient and/or subrecipients of the award. The FOA will outline specifics of any required cost share. If cost share is required, work with RD and OSP prior to writing your proposal.
Below is a list of the usual documents that are part of a DOE proposal.
- SF 424 (R&R) Form
- Research and Related Other Project Information Form
- Project Summary/Abstract
- Project Narrative
- Identification of Merit Review Conflicts
- Research & Related Budget Form
- Budget Justification
- R&R Subaward Budget Attachment(S) Form (if applicable)
- Subaward Budget Justification (if applicable)
- Project/Performance Site Location(S) Form
- Disclosure of Lobbying Activities