Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program
Interested in Mentoring Undergraduates in Research?
The Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) is an exciting opportunity for students to engage in research and mentorship experiences with SJSU faculty in their discipline or project of interest.
What is UROP?
UROP seeks to improve university retention rates and enrich student academic experiences via direct engagement in research, scholarship, and creative activity during their first and second years. Through UROP, students will work up to 10 hours per week with a faculty mentor on research or scholarly projects (hours and project are determined based on faculty-submitted projects). Students will enroll in a year-long (6-unit) curriculum with other cohort members, receive dedicated peer mentorship, and present their research at two end-of-year symposiums (Celebration of Research and Lurie College Showcase).
Which Faculty Can Participate?
UROP is open to all full and part-time faculty across campus.
We encourage all interested faculty to submit a project and serve as a faculty mentor.
What Is Expected Of Faculty Mentors?
Faculty mentors will have the following expectations:
- Provide students with a supportive and meaningful mentorship experience
- Participate in the program through the duration of the academic year (Fall '23/Spring '24)
- Attend one faculty mentor orientation (time TBD)
- Meet regularly with your student research mentee(s)
- Check-in with Program Director once per semester or as needed
- Assist student research assistant with final poster presentation
What Is The Timeline Of The Program?
All faculty RSCA projects should be submitted by the end of August. Students will begin reaching out to faculty to interview for that project through September and October. By early November it is our hope that each student will be paired with a faculty mentor and project.
What Will I Receive?
- Opportunities to create and build community across campus
- Direct engagement and mentorship opportunity of students early in their SJSU journey
- Professional development funds up $250
- Research support on submitted project(s)
How Do I Get Involved
How Can I Get More Information
Feel free to contact Professor Andrew Carter - email@example.com - for more information.