Teacher Residency Program
Ideal for local candidates who want to learn to teach and start their career in a district nearby, our Teacher Residency Program is an accelerated, a year-long student teaching placement at a single school site and enables residents to:
- Learn to teach and launch your career in the SJSU service area
- Receive grant funding that covers full tuition, fees, and book expenses plus a $5,000 stipend
- Finish the credential program in 13 months (Summer start)
- Develop yearlong relationships with your students
- Work with the same mentor teacher for the year and become immersed in the school, district and community culture.
- Priority job interviews and hiring in your placement district or affiliated districts. District support for four years as your career develops.
Once admitted to SJSU, teacher residents complete a supplemental application and are selected following an interview with potential host district(s). Program options include Pathways that facilitate eligibility include full-timefull time coursework beginning in spring (3-semester option) or summer (one-year option) and part-timepart time coursework beginning in the fall (two-year option). During the fall and spring semesters of their residency (student teaching) year, students take a full-time load of courses while completing their residency placements with their mentor teacher(s) and students.
Each residency program includes a credential focus and tailored professional development support for both residents and their mentors. See below for program options and participating districts. Click each for a full description and advising contacts:
- If you want to learn more about becoming a Teacher Resident, contact Susana Mayorga
- If you are interested in the Ethnic Studies Teacher Residency Program, contact Professor Luis Poza at Luis.Poza@sjsu.edu
- Apply to our Multiple Subject / Elementary Education Credential program or Single Subject / Secondary Education Credential program if you aren't already admitted or enrolled.
- Complete our Teacher Residency Supplementary Application Google form.