General Credential Information

SJSU Lurie College of Education Ed.D Leadership Program Students

Prospective students and current credential holders may use the menu of options below to navigate around this page for general credential information.

Credential Requirements

Credential Holders


Basic Skills Requirement

On June 29, 2024, Governor Newsom signed a budget trailer bill, SB 153 (Chap. 38, Statutes of 2024), that allow candidates to use their bachelor’s or higher degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education as demonstration of the basic skills requirement, effective immediately.

If you are unsure whether your degree meets the BSR requirement, you may contact Credential Services for guidance at

Back to top

Certificate of Clearance

The Certificate of Clearance is a document issued by the Commission to an individual who has completed the Commission's fingerprint character and identification process and whose moral and professional fitness has been shown to meet the standards as established by law. Certificates of Clearance issued on or after February 28, 2005 are valid for five years.

The Certificate of Clearance is a two-part process that requires fingerprinting and an online application submission to CTC. 

Individuals who hold a valid/current (not expired) CTC permit or credential that required fingerprinting may submit this document in lieu of the the Certificate of Clearance. You may contact Credential Services at if you are unsure whether your document is valid.

Back to top

CPR Requirement (Infant/Child/Adult)

If you are considering enrolling in a CPR course, it must meet the American Heart Association or American Red Cross standards. The course must include Infant, Child and Adult CPR. Online courses are acceptable.

Recommended Courses:

If you plan to take a course that is not recommended, please check with Credential Services for approval before enrolling in the course to ensure it meets the CPR requirement.

Back to top

Foreign Transcript Evaluation

The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) requires all individuals who have completed college or university coursework at an institution in a country other than the United States to obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts/degrees. The evaluation must result in an equivalent U.S. bachelor's or master's degree.

Individuals who hold a master's degree from an accredited U.S. University or College do not need an evaluation of foreign undergraduate course work for CTC, however, it may still be required for admission by SJSU's Graduate Admission and Program Evaluation (GAPE).

SJSU and CTC requires independent evaluation of foreign degrees. See guidelines below.

Back to top

Verifying Subject Matter Competence (SMC)

Individuals applying to the Multiple Subject, Single Subject, or Education Specialist Credential Programs must satisfy subject matter competency which may be demonstrated through one of the following options. Additional details are available on the CTC website

The PK-3 Early Childhood Education Credential Program offers two options to satisfy the Subject Matter Competency (SMC) requirement. Refer to the link below for details. 

Back to top

U.S. Constitution Requirement

California law requires that all teachers pass a course in the U.S. Constitution before being issued a credential. See options below for meeting this requirement.

Back to top

Adding Authorizations to an Existing Credential

Multiple Subject and Single Subject credential holders may obtain additional authorizations without completing full professional preparation programs.

General Education Authorizations

Supplementary and Subject Matter Authorizations

Supplementary and Subject Matter Authorizations may be added to Multiple or Single Subject Credentials. Applications must be submitted directly to CTC for processing. You may contact us for guidance at

Back to top

Verification of Teacher Certification for Employment Outside of CA

If you are seeking employment outside of California and require verification of program completion, please complete the following steps below and submit to

  1. Complete the Out-of-State Information Cover Sheet [pdf]
  2. Pay the $15 processing fee
  3. Complete a Teacher Certification Form: This form is usually provided by the education department of the state where you are seeking employment.

Note: Your credential will be verified with the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC). It does not have to be valid, however, if you do not hold a CA credential related to the program for which you are seeking verification, you will be required to submit additional paperwork. Please contact the SJSU Credential Services office for further instructions.

Back to top

Emergency Permit Renewal

Completion of at least 6 semester units of coursework towards the appropriate credential program is required. The coursework must be completed after the issuance date of the last emergency permit and before the issuance date of the new permit. The original CL-469 form will be returned to you by mail as you will need to submit it to your employer for further processing.

To renew your Emergency Permit, complete steps 1 - 3 below:

  1. Complete the CL-469 form [pdf]
  2. Complete the Emergency Permit Information Cover Sheet [pdf]
  3. Email to or mail to:

San Jose State University 
Credential Services
One Washington Square, Sweeney Hall 445
San Jose, CA 95192-0015

Back to top