Matthew Love, PhD
Assistant Professor, Special Education
Dr. Love's research focus on the application of assistive and instructional technology that support students with disabilities in general education classrooms. Currently, his focus is on defining how the principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) can be applied to the design, implementation, and evaluation of instructional tools in STEM classrooms.
- Ph.D., Special Education, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- M.Ed., Special Education, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- B.S., Special Education, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- Love, M.L., & Golloher, A. (2021). Designing for Students in the Margins Online: Applications of UDL in 2021 and Beyond. In Ferdig, R.E., & Pytash, K. (Eds.) What teacher educators should have learned from 2020. (pp 69-78) Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
Golloher, A., & Love, M.L. (2020). What Special Educators Want Leaders to Know About Remote Education. ASCD Express. Retrieved from: http://www.ascd.org/ascd-express/vol16/num05/what-special-educators-
- Love, M.L., Simpson, L.A., Golloher, A., Gadus, B., & Dorwin, J. (2020). Professional Development to Increase Teacher Capacity for the Use of New Technologies. Intervention in School and Clinic.
- Chong, M. & Love, M.L. (April, 2019) Five Ways to Implement Assistive and Instructional Technology in Inclusive Classrooms. LD Forum, 3-7.
- Love, M.L., Baker, J.N., & Devine, S. (2019) Universal Design for Learning: Supporting
College Inclusion for Students With Intellectual Disabilities. Career Development
and Transition for Exceptional Individuals, 42, 122-127. https://doi.org/10.1177/2165143417722518
- Love, M.L., & Marschner, M.L. (2021). The future is flexible: UDL in the classroom of tomorrow. Presentation given at the CAST Annual UDL Symposium.
- Love, M.L., & Marschner, M.L. (2020). Creating systematic UDL implementation plans. Presentation given at the Inclusion Collaborative State Conference.
- Golloher, A. & Love, M.L. (2020) Lessons learned form the move to remote instruction. Presentation given at the Inclusion Collaborative State Conference.
- Wennerlind. K.R., Love, M.L., & Devine, S. (2019) Supporting students with intellectual disability in college. Presentation at the TASH Annual Conference: Phoenix, AZ.
- Simpson, L.A., Golloher, A., Love, M.L. (2019). Identifying Best Practices in Preservice Preparation for High Leverage Practice: Collaboration. Presentation at the Council for Exceptional Children's Teacher Education Division (TED) Annual Conference: New Orleans, LA
- Love, M.L. (2019). Building UDL into PLC Practice. Presentation at the Inclusion Collaborative State Conference.
- Love, M.L., Park, S., & Wahl, K. (2019). Supporting Equity through Online Professional Development. Presentation at the California Council for Exceptional Children State Conference
Noteworthy Grants and Awards
- Love, M.L, & Quach, W.(2021). SJSU Level Up Grant ($20,000). Leveling Up Interdisciplinary Practice and Preparation.
- Quach, W., & Love, M.L. (2020). LCOE Dean's Office Strategic Plan Grants ($5,800). Interprofessional Summit.
Areas of Research Interest
- Assistive/Instructional Technology
- Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
- Somehow I Manage by Michael G. Scott
- The Bill James Handbook 2020 by Bill James
- The Design of Everyday Things by Donald A. Norman