Colette Rabin, EdD
Professor, Teacher Education
Colette Rabin teaches sociology of education, philosophy of education, research methods, classroom management, health, and student teaching courses. Prior to teaching graduate school, she taught grades kindergarten through middle school for twelve years. Her research interests are in care ethics, social justice, co-teaching, sustainability, and social and emotional learning. Recent publications include, “Co-Teaching: Collaborative and Caring Teacher Preparation,” in Journal of Teacher Education, and “Social Studies from a Care Ethics Perspective in an Elementary Classroom in Social Studies Research and Practice.”
- Ed.D., Teacher Education, Educational Leadership, and Philosophy of Education, Mills College
- M.A., Education, San Jose State University
- B.A., Religion, Reed College
Rabin, C. (2019). Co-Teaching Toward Collaborative and Caring Teacher Preparation. Journal of Teacher Education, 46, 4, 67-92.
Swanson, P., Rabin, C., Smith, G., Briceño, A., Ervin, Kassab, L., Sexton, D., Mitchell, D., Whitenack, D., Asato, J. (2019). Trust your Team: Our Journey to Embed Social and Emotional Learning in a Teacher Education Program Focused on Social Justice. Teacher Education Quarterly, 46, 4, 67-92.
Watson, M., Daly, L., Smith, G., & Rabin, C. 2019). Building a Classroom Community that Supports Students’ Social/Moral Development. Teacher Education Quarterly, 46, 4, 10-31.
- Rabin, C. (April 2021). “It’s Just a Flat One-sided Feeling”: Care Ethics in Online Teaching. Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association (AERA). Online.
- Smith, G. & Rabin, C. (2020). Countering Deficit Thinking About Neurodiversity Among General Education Teacher Candidates. Paper presented at the California Council on Teacher Education (CCTE). Sacramento, CA. (Conference canceled)
- Rabin, C. (April 2020). Care Ethics in Teacher Preparation through Action Research. Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association (AERA). San Francisco, California. (Conference canceled)
- Rabin, C. & Smith, G. (November 2019). American Education and the Larger Purpose of Social Justice and Caring. Invited Presentation at Waseda University. Tokyo, Japan.
Rabin, C., Sexton, D., Whitenack, D., & Nemecek, D. (2019, April).
Investigating the candidate-mentor-supervisor triad. CSU New Generation of Educators Learning Community Convening. Sacramento, California: CSU Sacramento.
Rabin, C. & Smith, G. (April 2019). Co-Teaching Relationships to Cultivate Caring. Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association (AERA), Toronto, Ontario.
Smith, G. & Rabin, C. (April 2019). Addressing the Climate Change Consensus Gap among Preservice Teachers: A Four Faceted Approach. Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association (AERA), Toronto, Ontario.
Areas of Research Interest
- Care ethics
- Social and emotional learning
- Learning to Trust: Transforming Difficult Elementary Classrooms Through Developmental Discipline by Marilyn Watson and Alfie Kohn
- Teachers as Cultural Workers by Paulo Freire
- To Teach: The Journey of a Teacher by William Ayers and Gloria Ladson-Billings