Andrea Golloher, PhD (she/her/hers)
Associate Professor, Special Education
Associate Director, Early Childhood Institute
Dr. Golloher's research explores methods of supporting inclusive education, including the impact of teacher preparation and professional development on attitudes toward and beliefs about disability and inclusion. As Director of the Early Childhood Institute (ECI), she engages in interdisciplinary research about, provides professional development to, and advocates for early childhood and the early childhood workforce.
- Ph.D., Joint Doctoral Program in Special Education, University of California, Berkeley, and San Francisco State University
- M.Ed., Early Childhood Special Education (Credential), Vanderbilt University
- B.A., Psychology, Washington University in St. Louis
- Schuck, R. K., Simpson, L. A., & Golloher, A. (2022). How is parental educational
involvement related to school satisfaction for parents of young autistic children?
The School Community Journal, 32(1), 201-223. http://www.adi.org/journal/2022ss/SchuckEtAlSS22.pdf [pdf]
- Golloher, A. N., & Middaugh, E. (2021). Diversity Dialogues: Online discussions impact
on teacher candidates’ adoption of characteristics of inclusive teachers. Asia-Pacific
Journal of Teacher Education, 49(4). https://doi.org/10.1080/1359866X.2020.1789913
- Love, M., & Golloher, A. (2021). Designing for students in the margins online: Applications
of UDL in 2021 and beyond. In R. E. Ferdig & K. E. Pytash (Eds.), What Teacher Educators
Should Have Learned from 2020 (pp. 69-78). Association for the Advancement of Computing
in Education (AACE). https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/219088/
- Love, M. L., Simpson, L. A., Golloher, A. N., Gadus, B., & Dorwin, J. (2020). Professional
development to increase teacher capacity for the use of new technologies. Intervention
in School and Clinic, 56(1). https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1053451220914886\
- Golloher, A. N. (2020). Adapted shared reading: A study of its effectiveness in inclusive preschool classrooms. Journal of Special Education Apprenticeship, 9(2), 1-20. https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/josea/vol9/iss2/4/
- Yockelson, S., Golloher, A., & Collado, C. (2022, May). Supporting students with disabilities:
Collaborating with the IEP team [Conference presentation]. California Association
for the Education of Young Children Annual Conference, Pasadena, CA, United States.
- Golloher, A., & Bynder, R. (2021, October). DEC Recommended Practices for inclusive
programs: There’s an RP for that! [Conference presentation]. Inclusion Collaborative
State Conference, San José, CA, United States.
- Golloher, A., & Love, M. L. (2020, September). Lessons learned from the transition
to remote learning. [Conference presentation]. Inclusion Collaborate State Conference,
San José, CA, United States.
- Golloher, A., & Maxwell, E. (2021, September). Fieldwork in EC teacher preparation: Partnerships to prepare for inclusion [Poster presentation]. Division for Early Childhood of the Council for Exceptional Children Annual Meeting, Virtual Conference.
Noteworthy Grants and Awards
- Level-Up: Multi-Investigator Team, Co-PI; Funder: San José State University Office of Research and Innovation. 2020-2021
- Early Childhood STEM Education: Training and Ambassador Program, Co-PI; Funder: Santa Clara County Office of Education Local Planning Council. 2019-2020.
Areas of Research Interest
- Early childhood
- Universal design for learning
- Building Blocks for Teaching Preschoolers with Special Needs by Susan R. Sandall and Ilene S. Schwartz
- Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
- The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures by Anne Fadiman
Listen to Andrea's playlist below and access all of the personality playlists on our Lurie College of Education Spotify account