BA, Educational and Community Leadership
Create Change and Tackle Inequality ✊🏽
We've developed this pathway for individuals who have accrued some college credits with a flexible and engaging opportunity to complete their bachelor’s degree. The curriculum is entirely online and brings together a variety of academic disciplines including education and the social sciences with a focus on leadership skills and promoting social justice to support career advancement.
Watch the video above or use the links below to learn more about what this means for a few of our students, Doris, Jeff, Mona Lisa, and Ruby!
- How our program is helping them accomplish their goals 🎯
- Examples of significant learning moments they've had 💡
- How their professors have impacted them 🌟
Current social movements in California and across the United States have highlighted the need for reform in our community institutions to establish equity, access, and social justice. To have effective reforms, our local communities need a diverse corps of highly skilled educators and social servants. In addition to the core courses in leadership and social justice, our new BA in Interdisciplinary Studies offers course pathways in:
- Early childhood education - supporting the development of children age 0 to 5 and their families
- Inclusive education - educational approaches to serve k-12 students of diverse backgrounds, languages, and abilities in both formal and informal learning environments
- Program Overview
- Program Learning Outcomes
- Admission Requirements
- Upcoming Info Sessions
- Steps to Apply
Connect with current students on our Discord Server
- Official title: Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies, Concentration in Educational and Community Leadership
- Format: Part-time, 100% online, year-round
- Units: 60
- Start dates: Summer, Fall, or Spring
- Program length: 2 years
- Program cost: $450/unit
- Application deadlines:
- Apply between January 1 to April 15 for Summer 2023 start
- Apply between March 1 to July 15 for Fall 2023 start
We will work with applicants to apply for Federal Pell Grants. If you work for a Local Education Agency (LEA) such as a school district, there may be grants to support your educational costs.
Each spring semester, current students can also apply for SJSU Lurie College of Education scholarships for the following academic year.
Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
As a result of completing this program, students will learn how to:
- Create interdisciplinary strategies to manage challenges within one’s professional field.
- Take leadership opportunities (planning, coordination, technology, and managing) that promote change for the betterment of all individuals within a community system.
- Use an assets-based approach when supporting child, youth, adult, and community development.
- Advocate an anti-racist approach to establish social justice with diverse communities.
- Communicate ethically and responsibly in oral and written form across settings, purposes, and audiences.
- Analyze an issue or problem, integrating at least two disciplinary perspectives.
- Completion of at least 60 transferable semester units or 90 quarter units. A maximum
of 70 units from community colleges can be transferred toward the degree.
- Completion of all CSU Lower Division General Education Requirements (39 units).
- Completion of all four CSU-approved General Education requirements with a C- or higher.
- (A1) Oral Communication/Speech
- (A2) Written English Composition
- (A3) Critical Thinking/Logic
- (B4) Math/Quantitative Reasoning (above the level of intermediate algebra)
- GPA of 2.0 or better
- In choosing the Early Childhood Education specialization pathway, students must have or find access for field placement in a suitable early childhood setting.
Contact us to check your eligibility for the program.
Steps to Apply
- Look through our information on how to apply
- Contact our enrollment counselors so we can check your eligibility to apply - completing 60 units of lower-division
general education (GE) requirements - and assist you with:
- Locating transcripts from your previous schools to review courses
- Guiding you through the steps to applying on CalState Apply
- Complete the SJSU Transfer Steps to Admission
- Please contact us before submitting your application so we can ensure you have the
requirements needed to apply and provide you any assistance you need.
Program Coursework | 60 Units
We are proud of our students and their passion to create change to better our communities. Meet our Fall 2022 feature student Katelynn Hang
Getting to know you:
Favorite Movie: A Walk to Remember
Favorite Food: Sushi
Top 3 songs in your music playlist:
- Euphoria by Jungkook of BTS
- Heartbeat by BTS
- Wildfire by Eric Nam
Why is Education important to you?
Education is important to me because I believe knowledge is power. I also just like to learn new things.
What has been your favorite class so far and why?
So far, my favorite class has been EDEL 102 because I enjoyed learning about psychologists and their theories behind education and child development. This was also my first class at SJSU and it made me feel welcomed.
What study tips would you share with peers?
Time management is so important. Make sure to schedule time to study, but also time for yourself! It's very easy to get burnt out when you feel like everything is piling up on you. So, make a plan and try your best to stick with it!
What are your struggles and how have you overcome them or are working on overcoming them?
Writing and speaking are some of the few things I struggle with. I tend to overshare and not share enough, but I think what helps me best is having someone I trust look over my work. It helps when they give me their opinions on what I need to fix or remove. If you don't have anyone, Grammarly is also a great resource!
What advice would you give to incoming students?
Keep going. It'll all pass, and by the time you realize it, you'll be near the finish line.
Upcoming Information Sessions
- Phone: 408-924-3227
- Hours: Monday-Friday, 9am-2pm
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SJSU Online webpage: https://www.sjsu.edu/online/programs/interdisciplinary-studies.php
Meet our B.A. Interdisciplinary Studies Support Staff